Trader Rating: 3
Team Armattan
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
441 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
I believe you to be exactly right about the cooling effect of the alumi against the esc.
I have come to believe that the natural cooling effect of the prop wash against the metal and the actual esc itself is beneficial for cooling the esc's as most metals will retain the ambient temperature and the rotors blowing down on the arms which should cool them down somewhat and that would be transmitted to the esc via proximity. That said, I wonder if removing the shrink wrap on the esc's opens it up to more damage in a bad crash, ie blade strike....or to moisture, causing a short. Or if flying in hot climates, will that heat from the sun be transmitted more easily through the alumi arms and affect the esc's? In this case, I would probably want to use white heat shrink to reflect the heat of the sun......

Personally, my next Armattan builds are going to be with shrink wrap removed and positioned on top of the CNC arms. There is a new spray coating coming out that will eradicate any moisture problems very soon.

Great comment, T3PRanch
Thanks Bryan, Why not remove the shrink from the ESC completely and get some larger shrink. then mount the entire esc to the arm with the shrink all around it (arm and ESC instead of a TyWrap).

Thurmond
T3PRanch is offline Find More Posts by T3PRanch