Thread: Build Log RCRCM Strega Build
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by krvedaa
Joined Sep 2007
221 Posts
The second Strega build have moved a bit foreward. I decided to leave the fuselage ballast out of the equation for this build. The wing tubes are glued in
and the plane wil still take 1700 grams of lead in wings tubes and joiner tubes.

Wood plugs for moulding lead slug have been prepared. A form will be prepared in silicone mould mass, that can withstand 450 degress celsius (and molten lead).

A long servrotray was prepared, 43cm long, actually it can be seen half through the joiner hole. It is my hope that the long servotray could make this model survive the harder landings, and the nose is always a weak spot were it breaks first. The tray is prepared for Futaba S9650 or S9071SB servos.

On the other hand, I worry that I only move the breaking to under the middle of the wing, were a repair will be much harder. Time will show.

I am aslo planning to have two strips of carbon rowing in the canopy opening, and two strips in the lower fuselage inside the opening as far as I can reach it.
To bad it was not done at the factory as the newest versions have.

Some very nice aluminium servoframes from Windrider were bought in for this. Even though not mounted, this ball bearing frame feels like real quality, and to add to this, I prepared some extra spars to be put inside the servoarm for each wingservo, so there is no chance the wings sking moves / give in, when the servo is stressed with forces. A 15mm wide balsasheet was used, laminated with 160grams carbon, and another layer of glass 120 grams (?), with standing balsa. It seems quite solid. Hopefully these two enhancement will give precise on look tight control surfaces, that is the plan anyway.

I have attached some pics below.
krvedaa is offline Find More Posts by krvedaa
Last edited by krvedaa; Dec 23, 2012 at 06:57 AM.