Thread: Discussion HoverflyGIMBAL settings thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by rancherpete
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Yes, wrong foot, for sure. I got a little defensive, sorry.

Anyway, after the holidays, I will also try playing with the board's orientation, to see if that makes a difference. I really think the answer, however, is going to be in figuring out why v1.03 seems to work a ton better.

-- Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Yes, I've tried v1.8 r0, but not the latest one. I did not see the same sorts of problems with the yaw coupling that I've seen with v1.5-v1.7. One thing that I've been working of late, however, is vibration reduction. I'm beginning to think that Dan may have been right all along, in thinking that this has to be vibration related. What I'm testing now is putting isolation right at the motors. By doing that, we've been able to get away from using extra isolation at the camera tray, like we've been doing for cameras that are particularly sensitive to jello, like the RX100 or the Hero3 Black, in the 2.7k/30p mode. What were finding before is that with our standard silicon isolators, used in our Isolated Mounting System, we needed to run the tension fairly loose, and then add extra isolation at the camera baseplate, in order to get the smoothest video. The problem is that in wind gusts, or in fast forward flight, we'd get a lot of what I call micro-bounces. To get rid of the micro-bounces, you need the silicon isolators tight, with everything below the IMS rigid. Now to get rid of the jello, we are looking to eliminate as much of the vibration as possible ahead of the IMS isolation.

Anyway, since we mount the HFG board with the gimbal, on the isolated side of the IMS, I believe it will work better with the notion of keeping everything south of the IMS isolation as rigid as possible, and add extra isolation right at the source.

-- Gary
Gary: Thanks for your detailed reply. I am not sure what you mean by this: "What I'm testing now is putting isolation right at the motors." can you explain? I have also worked a great deal with trying to eliminate all vibration from props, motors, etc. I have soft silicone dampeners incorporated in my gimbal mount at the frame and again with a secondary camera mounting plate that also has its own set of 4 smaller soft silicone dampeners. Did 1.8 help with any little jitters or jerkiness? I just can't get this thing as smooth as I would like.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete