Thread: Discussion IOM General Discussion
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by PorkyPig
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Joined Oct 2012
329 Posts
Brig/ D Design

I could not agree with Brig more about it is possible for a newbie to beat a fellow competitor who has much more experience. My fondest memories over my sailing career (36 years and counting) were beating the top dog at major events when I was the clear underdog.

Iíve been fortunate to have some great coaching and advice from friends about focusing on the process, mental attitude and effort in relates to results out. I set one and after you get good at it, two specific process goals to focus on during a training session. If you review too much you lose focus. I keep a log book (buy Wet Notes) and record the conditions (wind strength, direction and pattern), sea state (rough, moderate, flat) and current. After a while you identify trends and the logbook becomes your playbook.

What is really awesome is when you can turn a weakness from a previous race into a strength.

Another wise sailor once told me you never learn it all and they day you think you have, you start slipping backwards.

D Design: You may be the underdog now but when you do beat the top dogs, it is much more satisfying (and it really ticks them off). The tougher the challenge - the more satisfaction. As one of my coaches taught me, Results are the outcome of Processes.

Good luck

David
PorkyPig is online now Find More Posts by PorkyPig