View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
668 Posts
Discussion
Sources for Peanut and Bostonian Airfoils

When I'm building Peanuts or Bostonians from plans by recognized designers like Walt Mooney or Don DeLoach, I don't worry about where the airfoils come from. Lately, I've been looking at the UIUC airfoil site and realizing that the prototypes, especially the Golden Age ones, used quite different airfoils. I realize that the low speeds and small chords used for rubber powered models force differences.

Are there recognized examples for best airfoils in the 2-3 inch chord regime? Do they have any counterparts in the database?

Some examples are pictured below. Walt Mooney's Peanut of the Curtiss-Wright 15C Air Sedan has a flat bottomed 11% airfoil pictured below. The prototype used a Goettingen 593 airfoil according to data on UIUC. That's somewhat thicker, has a rounder nose and a bit of undercamber about 2/3 back. The airfoil for Bostonian Celtic by DeLoach is a bit thinner and sharper nosed. I had a template for that airfoil that I used on my latest more conventional Bostonian, and I get good climb.

Two other pictures compare the Goettingen 593 with a Goettingen 385, which is a 10% flat bottomed airfoil. I don't see full sized planes using it, but it's a lot closer match to the model airfoils, IMHO.

I guess what I'm trying to get to is a set of coordinates that I can use to plot various sized model wings. I could just use photoshop or copier scaling, but knowing the numbers just feels better.

Any other candidates for the winning airfoil?
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM.