View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,383 Posts
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted in here, so this is my update:

After many months of my Meteor sitting grounded after I burned up the second stock motor and fan on 5S. I purchased the Tacon 2860 2550kv inrunner, eflite fan, and moved up to the Dynam 80A esc. I had to do a little bit of foam trimming to get that eflite fan to fit. That Tacon motor is big, and also heavier - so had to move the battery forward. Its flying pretty good on 5S, maybe a little faster than stock on 5S, but it doesn't seem like a massive jump in speed. No measurements taken though. The motor is specd to 1300 watts, 5 cells, and max 23 volts. The 23 volts puts it in 6S territory - and several reviews claim success with 6S. I haven't tried it not sure if I will bother, even though I have 6S-3000 lipos that should fit from my Trex 500. I feel confident this motor won't burn up (on 5S anyway) like the stockers did on me twice.

A recent landing wasn't so great and I damaged one of the main landing gear mounts. Solution: just get rid of the landing gear altogether. I pulled all three gear plus the nose steering servo: that saved 50 grams of weight plus the drag. I've got just a few flights in so far without gear but I like it - looks cool and picked up a little bit of speed. The drawbacks are that I need a friend to hand launch for me (not really a problem since I fly at a club field and plenty of 'assistants' around, so no need to risk a solo hand launch) and that I have to walk across the field to retrieve it after a belly landing - no taxiing. I'll have to work on the belly landings to place it near my feet. Belly landings work for me at the grass club strip - not sure retracts would work so well in that grass. The only retracts I typically see at that club field are on big turbine jets.
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97