Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by morris.hans
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneNomad View Post
Hi guys!

I'm also a newbie in R/C, though I do have a background in robotics.

I am reviewing my options to build an hexacopter, my first aircraft, and I'm very interested in this build. However, I am really worried about flight time. Without any payload, what is your actual flight time? I heard people say 4 minutes!

Since I'm interested in FPV and autonomous flight in the long term, getting a 10+ minutes of flight is critical, while being reliable and able to sustain some payload.

What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks!
My setup uses approximately 720Mah per minute. Thats at 4.5-4.75lbs flying weight You could add more weight but the consumption per minute will go up due to the increased power needed to sustain flight. So I could use 2x5000mah batteries and I believe my setup will lift it but I will have diminishing returns on flight time. The same battery (3600mah) on my bixler will fly 15 minutes even with fpv equipment, and I believe single motor gliders is where you will find the longest flight times. The key to a good long flying setup is a set of motors that put out alot of thrust with low amp loading. Im not sure where these HK motors stand on the efficient scale but I think that they're reasonable and know more efficient motors are out there.

You may want to consider getting some sort of RC flight simulator and or a foam plane (bixlers the BEST!) to learn to fly before jumping into a multi rotor vehicle for a first timer. It has auto level and such but you may find it crashed beyond recognition from unavoidable rookie mistakes. In my opinion it flies just like a fixed pitch helicopter which is a really bad deal for a RC first timer .

morris.hans is offline Find More Posts by morris.hans
Last edited by morris.hans; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:38 PM.