View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
1,027 Posts
You could always draw up both flat and built up stabs so each builder could choose their preference.

I used the DB20 plans for the stab with little modification. I posted somewhere that the built up stab was quite a bit lighter, but don't remember the numbers. The ribs did get a little small, but the finished stab is still quite a bit thicker then the flat stab. I used a mixture of yellow glue and balsa dust to beef of the butt jointed sheeting to the leading edge which helped strengthen that area.

There is a small amount of dihedral added to the wing. I think I used a pencil at the center joint with the wing panels upside down. The spec is on one or both the TB or DB20 plans and will check it out. I had not glued the center ribs in until the dihedral was set, so they could be glued together without a gap.

It will be interesting to see your new and improved version of the tail section. Most of my planes in the future, except flat slow flying 3D foamies, will have a built up airfoiled stab.

I just completed a 4th Formosa ARF (2nd for myself), and it has an airfoiled stab. This one features the new EPO foam and it is a delight to work with. Much better then the old EPS versions.

SpadCat

PS an anhedral stab would be cool!
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000