Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by lilleyen
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupadrop View Post
I have reviewed all of the economical radio systems and opted for the FlySky T6 as recommended here recently. Will be nice to have a 2.4Ghz radio for the new Fairwind.

BTW, I cant help but admire the craftsmanship of the Fairwind III. Have never had a sailboat before, so I will be anxiously awaiting some springtime weather to get out to the lake nearby.

The steel ballast that came with the kit weighs 3.84 lbs. Before I add the lead ballast, does this seem like a logical initial ballast weight to start with? The boat itself weighs 4.90 lbs with the four AA batteries.Thus the total weight would be 8.74 lbs
You're right, the FW III is well made, they got most of it right.
I don't like the hatch fastening method, or the stiff rigging lines (or the slot footed mainsail) , but aside from those little quibbles, it's beaut!

In racing trim, there is a minimum weight requirement of 8 lbs.
Most racers try to nail that weight by dropping all the bling, going for carbon fibre masts etc.
You're weight sounds about right, for a stock FW III.
A heavier boat is slow to accelerate, but I have found, (while racing with Victorias), that sometimes my heavier Nirvana will round a buoy by sheer momentum when the wind dies, while the lighter boats have come to a complete stop, and didn't make it around the buoy.

My FW ballast was about 3.13 lbs.
I put it all in, but didn't add anymore, the weight of the glue I poured in would add some more weight too.

My sails aren't stock, but seem to be made out of the same materials (only loose footed), so I don't that makes any weight difference there.

I'm going to pick up a hanging fish scale so I can weigh the boat by hanging it with everything in it. That's what the Victoria guys do around here.

As I said earlier I can always add some weight either temporarily, or permanently if required.
You don't want to overdo the ballast, as you'll create a slug, that sits in the water way below the waterline, and takes a hurricane to get it moving.
You don't want a boat that blows over with every little puff that comes along either.
Testing, testing...
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Apr 01, 2013 at 01:52 PM.