Thread: Discussion E-flite Blade SR 120 Thread.
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by BattleDude
High Plains Drifter...
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
5,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimivee View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking here since I got my 120SR 3 months ago.

But I've also been thinking about trying my hand at planes, and wanted to get some advice from the 120SR peeps.

James
Hi James,
First of all, no lurking! Get your butt in here and BS with us!

I can tell you my experience, but keep in mind it is only mine. There is such a wide range of RC pilots capability, that it is very hard to offer any suggestions that are "one size fits all"

I started on 3 channel helis. No problem.
I then went to the 120SR, and found it a bit difficult to catch on to, because of the different stick inputs(throttle on the opposite side) However, it didn't take long and the 120 felt more comfortable than the 3 channel.

I attribute this to the fact that I have done extensive flying in the online games that my son and I have been playing for about 8 years now. When I first started flying online, I just happened to set up my RumblePad controller that I use to fly with, with exactly the same inputs that a Mode 2 TX uses. So unknowingly, I have been training my hands/brain correctly for 4 channel RC flying for 8 years.

When I gave up the three channel helis, and started flying the 120SR, the 3 channel became harder for me to fly, cause I wouldn't fly it very often. I then realized I would be better off to stick to one or the other, which was an easy choice for me, 4 channel not 3.

If your the type that can switch back and forth between different modes or channels with no problem, you might start with a 3 channel plane. If your not, and your sure you want to eventually move up to a 4 channel, then you might just bite the big one, like I did and start with 4 channel planes. I took a few knocks at first, with my PZ P-51 Mustang, but it is cheap and easy to repair. I highly recommend starting with a cheap easy to fix plane at first, either way you go, 3 or 4 channel.

The rudder on a 4 channel does have a several uses. I use it alone, with no aileron applied to make small corrections in heading. I use it to make small corrections in direction when landing. Then when a pilot gets to where he thinks he is really good, it can be used with ailerons, to make some unbelievably tight turns and maneuvers.

I see you must have some age on you, judging by the age of your son. I am 52 and it is far more difficult to train the brain and keep it trained, than it was when I was younger, so I stick with 4 channel only now, and I don't have those "mind-farts" that leave wondering if I need to use left or right stick for the throttle!

Welcome to the forum.
Kyle

Parkzone UM P-51 Mustang
ParkZone UM Spitfire Mk IX (a super sweet flying bird)

Parkzone Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX (also a sweet flyer, and highly loved by all pilots that own it)
Parkzone Messerschmitt Bf-109G ( a bit of a handful, not for the beginner)
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude