View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by PeterF
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
346 Posts
Here are a few photos of my first custom built indoor plane, an Etrich Taube.

I have an outdoor one, 2m (80 inch) wingspan for RC and really like it so I thought I would try my hand at building one using my Ember 2 module and gearbox as the Ember was getting a little tatty.

I copied some 3 view drawings of the real plane to cut all the sheets out to get a good outline, and with a large RC model available I knew how it should look. The build is all depron sheet, 2mm for the wings and the flats ections of the fuselage. The curved turtle deck is 1mm depron, scored and rolled. UHU Por was used for assembly. The undercambered wings were created by warm beinding, the sheets were coverd with plan proctector and then taped down on the leading edges of one of my large RC models wings and then heated with the hot air gun. The reflex sections at the wing tips were then heated seperately. Colour is by Promarker felt pens which give a reasonable antique colouring. The wheels are commercial items, laser cut plywood. The undercarriage is self made from thin piano wire and is a simplification of the real thing. A bit of scale detail from light balsa for the engine block and radiators has been added along with waterslide transfers. The transfers were made by photographing my large RC model, messing about with Paint Shop Pro and then printing out the results onto the waterslide.

The most difficult part was getting the down thrust right to match the undercamber of the wings and I still have ended up with down elevator mixed in with increasing throttle to stop it climbing madly. It flies around really nicely on about half throttle.
PeterF is online now Find More Posts by PeterF