Originally Posted by PyroMan
I connected the clip to the glow head and extremely quickly (probably less than 1/10 of a second) touch the center pole of the glow head and removed it. POOF! The glow plug's nichrome wire instantly vaporized in a flash of red-orange flame.
....... Everything's a learning experience I guess. . .
What you've learned is that you can't outrun electricity!!
The value you need to check is the voltage output. Most of the older plugs will handle 1.5 to 1.75 volts. Some will go a little higher, the older NORVEL plugs for example, but 1.7v or so should top you out.
Igniters using NiCd batteries will usually meter ~1.4v when fully charged, but will drop down when under load.