View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by Chalupadrop
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Those are both good 2.4 radios for boats, note the left one has servo reversing switches on it, the one on the right has to be programmed on your computer.
For the few dollars difference I would prefer the silver one.
It uses 8 AA batteries.

Go with the rechargeable NiMH low self discharge type AA batteries, from Hobby King as well.
They stay charged even when you are not using them, and they are high capacity.
Saves a lot of money and landfill waste. You can recharge them for pennies and about 500 times.

If you want to get one radio for everything, (gliders with crow mode etc), you would be advised to go for a 7 or 8 channel Spektrum radio. A bit pricey unless you can snag a used one. They use only 4 AA batteries.
I have a 5 channel and a 6 channel Spektrum transmitter. Also only 4 batteries.
I upgraded to the 6 channel to get some programmable features the 5 channel didn't have, and because it has a 10 model memory for settings.

Haven't had a chance to fly a glider with it yet, (too busy sailing), but I did programme my helicopter settings into it.

I used to use only Spektrum receivers, ($45.00 to $75.00 a crack, but mostly now I use the Orange receivers from HK for about $6.00 each. They work just fine with my Spektrum transmitter.
With a Spektrum 6 channel DX6i transmitter and $60.00 worth of Orange receivers you are good for the whole ten models the memory will hold in the Tx.

Hope this helps
Great information. I have been looking at the Spectrum radios but was not aware of the Hobby King receivers. That would make outfitting some of the models much more economical.

My wife is wanting to get me a radio for Xmas, so I hope to decide on one that I can grow with soon. Will give an update when I figure it out. But since I dont expect to be doing any flying or sailing until the weather breaks, am trying not to rush anything.

Thanks,
Chalupadrop is offline Find More Posts by Chalupadrop