View Single Post
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,499 Posts
Transmitter modification

Andrew,
The stock brace rigging setup is fine. Trying to mimic prototype braces is likely hardly worth the effort if fun sailing is the primary objective. But I get way to much into detail on things.....
Like this.....
To use the side lever controls on my JR 9 channel Tx for control of yard rotation, changes had to be made. The levers only rotated about 80 degrees and have a limited number of detents, not fine enough control for yard rotation. I measured the R values of the OEM potentiometer - see diagram. Seems the Tx "sees" a range of R from roughly about 500ohms to 4.5k ohms to give full range on the output to the servo. So I ordered replacement linear pots with 300 deg actual rotation, with an estimated 240 deg range of rotation to get a similar R range. Anxious to get the new pots and confirm the performance. The pots used in the Tx are cheapos. The mechanical rotation range is about 210 deg, but effective range to change R values is only about 80deg and pretty sloppy. The new pots are better quality. The new setup should give very repeatable, accurate and precise yard rotation control. Hoping for the best here....
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL