View Single Post
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,926 Posts
With the Arielrons versus LEF situation... they are very different.
Even though the flaps are 'larger' they have very little torsional twist - but the seemingly 'much chunkier', at the root end anyway, LEF, can twist notably more - just testing by hand.
So I have zero worry about the ailerons capabilty, but many times more worry about the LEF!

I decide on 2.5mm ply faces.
It will end up overkill, but will also supply what is needed (plus that more) in an easy manner, with very workable material - just slap it on flat! No slots etc required.
Once you laminate a face that is a huge surface area, so you add a huge amount of strength.
It even provides a 'bonus' in that it allows a fully rigid hinge mounting support - versus otherwise just foam slots etc.
So all in all, ply facing won the 'competition' hands down.....

Though I only have 2.5mm here.. and really 1.5mm would do fine, and be lighter and even easier to work with. So That is the current toss up.... as I would have to wait till a weekday to get some!
I will make one 2.5mm soon today and see what I think about makign do with that excess....

All yesterday was "Fix up the Su-35 landing gear day".... well, it was supposed to be an hour or so.... and totalled over eight!!! But I guess I ended up with a notably improved total.....
I covered from "go to whoa", so that will go into my Blog, maybe a bit posted here too later.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC