Thread: Discussion sopwith triplane 1/2 scale
View Single Post
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by The PIPE
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,207 Posts
I KNOW about the person that flew the full scale one...

Dear Solitaryman:

The PIPE Here...Just thought I'd mention that the American pilot of the original S.E. 5a you've got in those photos...

...was Philadelphia-born pilot Joseph E. "Child Yank" Boudwin...

...and the replicated "reduced scale" man-carrying S.E. 5a repro in the first two photos is actually NOT supposed to have a Lewis gun on it for full authenticity, as Boudwin's "No.19" aircraft was only his for the last four days of the war, and that the US Air Service's 25th Pursuit Squadron got so few Lewis guns before the Armistice, that the original "No.19"...the Austin-built aircraft bearing serial number "F8010" never had one mounted on it.

I HAVE been planning on someday doing up a quarter scale version of "Child Yank's" most famous RAF 84 Squadron S.E. 5a, which bore serial number "E5937", and bore him into battle alongside Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor and Hugh Saunders on August 9, 1918 over Bertangles, France, against Hermann Goering's JG I unit at 1400 that afternoon, with Boudwin getting in his first shots of the engagement directly AT Goering that day.

That's all from my "background info" on Child Yank (who only stood 1.63 meters in height) in getting documentation for a future S.E. 5a CAD project...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE