View Single Post
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
I'm going to see if its possible to do something similar tomorrow, but finding a thin enough tape is going to be hard, there's only at best 1 mm of free space around a c05m mini cp.
Maybe that is why many people that do the BL mod (i.e. use a wider Main Motor) also choose to use the Genius Main Gear? Because Genius Main Gear has more teeth, it has a larger diameter, which positions the Main Motor further away from the Main Shaft, thereby allowing more clearance between Main Motor and Main Shaft?

Its been reported that the Genius Main Gear is a little thinner, has 64 teeth and larger diameter; whereas, the Mini Main Gear is thicker, has 61 teeth and smaller diameter.

If everything else is kept the same, using a Main Gear with more teeth will result in a lower head speed per this equation:

New HeadSpeed = (Old Main Gear tooth count / New Main Gear tooth count) * Old HeadSpeed

If you want to use the larger diameter Genius Main Gear, but don't want the lower head speed, then you can use a larger Pinion to increase the headspeed per this equation (assuming everything else is kept the same):

New HeadSpeed = (New Pinion Gear tooth count / Old Pinion Gear tooth count) * Old HeadSpeed

The combination of both Gears being larger would result in the most clearance between Main Motor and Main Shaft.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Dec 07, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Add last sentence