View Single Post
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:43 AM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,934 Posts
I am still not happy with the 'visualisation/thought' over the LEF's with a Carbon Fibre strip face, or made from a balsa block. Neither way seems truly 'twist free' enough - versus the fact that the outer regions are getting smaller quite fast, so 'twist' beyond about the 2/3 point is not likely anyway. But I want something assured to remain rigid... to at least "6.3 on the twistigidy scale".

I am more leaning towards 2.5mm plywood LEF face, because that will glue 'properly' to the foam and thus make a very rigid 'ply' structure of the two. But.... all 2.5mm sheets I ever get are bowed anyway! And that is enough 'inbuilt force' to distort the LEF - unless jigged in some manner to assure it 'wins' over the ply's bow while the glue dries.

So... a dilemna over what to do for it still.....

I could make totally new ones from beech, or pine..... LOL
Or.... use a CF LEF face strip, then with the whole LEF glassed (GF sheet and WBPU) to get assured rigidity.
I aim to do it over this weekend, so whatever I come up with as 'acceptable' tomorrow will be it..... (I wonder how much Pine would weigh......??? A bit of a nuisance to work with! Especially a reasonably complex shape in total.)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC