View Single Post
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by datura
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
There are a number of multirotors available that would work for that . The least expensive ones are the most difficult to fly because they need the most pilot input . The more expensive ones are easier to fly . Besides the stabilization , auto leveling , heading and altitude hold , you can get a system that brings the copter back to you ( by pulling the right stick back towards you ) no matter which direction the " front " of it is pointing . Also , if signal is lost it hovers in place until signal is regained , and if it doesn't get the signal back within a minute , it flies itself back to the spot it took off from and lands itself . But those are many thousands of dollars .
Actually, I think adding ArduPilot to an already-flying plane only costs around $200, and it has most all of the features you mention! In fact, right now for $179 you get:
-3-axis gyro, magnetometer, accelerometer
-GPS
-barometric pressure sensor
-simple interface headers
-many supported add-ons like telemetry, FPV support, etc.

The ArduPilot software allows you to switch between several interesting modes such as:
-Go to GPS waypoint
-Loiter (circle about a GPS point)
-RTL (return to Launch point)
-Stabilize
-Manual control

Unfortunately I have no experience with flying a real RC plane or ArduPilot, but I should have both arriving some time next week

datura
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura