Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Video Juggernaut
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Nov 2003
2,828 Posts
Build Log
TPPacks Crab Quad and AG500 Gimbal

Those of you that have seen my posts on here know I am enamored with the new Gopro Hero Black edition. I've also been getting rid of all my heavier gear as I don't use it as much as I'd like to and in the winter I like to fly planes more. So the TPPacks Crab Quad and AG500 Gimbal was the perfect combo for me to keep up the aerial videography practice while minimizing my multi fleet. I also have loads of batteries for a multi rotor this size so more flight time when I do fly.

I received the quad, the gimbal and Hoverfly gimbal control the other day. I am still waiting on my Sunnysky 2216 motors and Naza. I have some Turnigy Plush 30a ESCs I am going to throw on there.

My first impressions:

The quad is amazingly light and simple to put together. It pretty much came assembled. I just have to put the arms and motor plates on and attach the landing gear, not much to it. Most of the time will probably go into soldering the escs to the distro board (Distro is not included. I am using a Multiwii Voltaire bought from Tony at RC Drones). I like that it comes with a battery tray up top and the same tray will house the Naza. It is a wonderful minimalist's quad. Oh, another great thing about it is it comes with the integrated LG and mounting location for their AG500 Gimbal.

The gimbal is a big improvement from the first gimbal I got from TPpacks, the ag550. It utilizes the same servos but also has potentiometers and aluminum and lighter composite arms. This one is sized for the gopro and maybe an rx100. I'm excited to use it as I got a Hoverfly Pro gimbal control to run it. I did not have a chance to use a dedicated gimbal control last time around so this is new, should get some better results.

I'll start putting it together tomorrow. I'll post pics of the progress.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:38 PM.