Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by botulism
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking60 View Post
That's where staying in a tight column of lightly rising air calls for turning relatively tightly without dropping a wing tip much at all- if you do, you'll loose lift & drop out. In my experience, a "bank & yank" approach just isn't as effective as working with both rudder & ailerons to keep the aircraft's bank attitude flatter while still staying within the tight patch of rising air. [Try it if you get a chance- you just might find it useful...)
How can you argue with logic like that? I hate it when I 'loose' lift.

My post had very little to do with the advantages/disadvantages of turning with rudder or ailerons. If you want to fly an incredibly large circle in the most inefficient way possible, go ahead, yaw away. My point was that Viking had said in numerous posts how poor the rudder response was when initiating a turn with the rudder. I pointed out that the Phoenix 2K has a completely flat wing, and the rudder isn 't going to do anything except yaw the plane along its longitudinal axis. It's certainly not going to initiate any turns. He listed 3 other planes that had much better response to 'initiating a turn' using only the rudder, and I pointed out that the 3 he listed all had polyhedral, which rolls the sailplane along its longitudinal axis (no ailerons needed) after application of rudder. Of course they're going to have better (faster) turn response with only the rudder.

I'm just trying to give the P2K a fair shake, as it's doing exactly what it was intended, its rudder does an excellent job.

Good day (and I mean that).

--
Greg
botulism is online now Find More Posts by botulism