View Single Post
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by rayonnair
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
Well my $Tree foam board model has been going together slowly. I am still waiting for my order for the elevon servos. I am continuing to build as much as I can while leaving the rear fuse and nacelles open for these servos.

I had to engineer a different motor mount, because the motor I ordered has a bayonet style mount instead of a flat firewall mount. I ended up cutting a mount stick from some scrap I had laying around, and glued it to the fuselage and protruding through the ply firewall that was glued in the normal spot. This seems to be a very strong mount. Hopefully I won't make foam-fetti after the first few flights.

I realized this evening as I was working on the top end, that I didn't take into consideration the thickness (thinness?) of the foam board relative to the height of the swing servo. The ply control horn interferes with the top fuse deck. I either need to relieve part of the top deck so the servo arm can move, or I need to try to extract the servo and mount it lower. I will probably attempt the latter, but I am done working for tonight.

I keep forgetting to take pictures as I build. I will post some soon.
My F-14 has a cutout on the top deck so I can access the servo. I cover it with tape, but you could just as easily make a small hatch out of a thinner sheet of foam and tape.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair