Thread: Discussion first sail boat Fairwind
View Single Post
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,955 Posts
Just a little late to the party but have a suggestion for you if you opt to install life lines. There are some factory parts still out there such as the Kyosho America site or RC101.com has a few Fairwind items still on hand at very good prices too.

The suggestion is to consider using the life line stanchions and mounting hardware off of a Proboat Serenity - the stanchions are metal not plastic and have a more realistic appearance, more like Stainless Steel than chrome. Part number is PRB 3466 set of 6 @ $14.99 the base is part number PRB 3455 come in pack of 16 for @ $14.99 The Serenity sails make an excellent replacement for the Fairwind sails sold separately $14.99 for the main sail and $9.99 for the jib sail - they are very nice made of a good grade of rip stop - I like them better than the factory Fairwind sails (they are on the same page) A set of Fairwind sails cost almost $100.00

Here is a link to the site> http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e-_-PRB3450#t4

A little mixing & matching can save some money and yield a very nice result. Harbor Models has a few different style metal stanchions should you be interested in other options. http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/stanchions.html

Just a personal note on scale details - I am a fan of boats or planes that look like their full size counterparts. I have some basic boats that don't have the scale details and I enjoy them to. But whether it is electric trains, RC boats or planes or cars, I have always liked the models with the details. My Yamaha RTW is my favorite both have the details I enjoy,

I am impressed with Boater Dave's handy work and like the racing versions he has built over the years. They to are very nice looking boats - very clean looking! I don't have any issues with the deck details getting fouled by the sheets or other lines on the boats. It is all good!

Posted a few pictures from my archives -

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM.