Find More Posts by OldeMan
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
...snip...
If I were considering going to up the power on the Blaze I'd suggest that something around 250 watts might be close to the limits. By all means prove me wrong. Once we get over 250 watts per pound the whole airframe might well need a rethink.
...snip...
(I know this discussion was a few days back... but I just saw it. Sorry.)

I believe that's a true statement if you are discussing a power increase due to prop "pitch"... which implies an increase in full-power flight velocity. There are a lot of comments in here about loss of control surface authority due to excessive speed... for which an airframe rethink might be a good idea.

However, I'm getting close to 300 watts on my Dynamic-S... and have no control authority issues... because the power is spent in air "volume" instead of "velocity" (i.e. prop diameter instead of pitch). With a 12x6 prop... it has amazing pull/climb without excessive speed. This also means that idling the prop (i.e. applying *just* enough throttle to spin it) makes a more effective air brake.

I, for one, love this alternative approach to increasing power. Just thought I'd mention it for the benefit of others who might be trying to decide on a prop/performance change.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan