Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
I tried this a while back. I hadn't got enough length on the focuser to be able to get an image. I wanted to set up a guide scope. The focuser was wound right out and I still couldn't get a focused image.

I anticipated problems when fitting a webcam. Would I have to have a bigger range of adjustment ?

It turned out that I only needed to fit the camera onto a tube that just fitted into the eyepiece holder. Focusing on stars, the moon and Jupiter were easy. The camera focuses at nearly the same setting as a 40mm eyepiece.

Terrestrial objects needed a much longer focus tube than I have on my scope.

Had to resort to setting the guide scope up in the dark !
I had the same problem... no focusable image with my camera CMOS about 1/2 in. beyond the back edge of the eyepiece holder, which has a travel of about 2 in. I was focusing on some trees that I'd estimate were maybe 800 ft. or so away. Maybe I should give it another try on an object further out, like the next full moon.

The film container is a very tight secure fit in my eyepiece holder... I could make it work with my camera if the focusing distance isn't any further out than maybe 1 to 1-1/2 in. Do you think it's worth the effort with these limits? I'd still need to get an I/R filter if adjusting with post editing does not work well, but then not many celestial objects have much color anyway with my 4-1/2 in. reflector scope.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling