Ok guys here is what I have discorved. The mast I have built is wrong
. The problem came to light at last when I went to fit the "acorn" to the top of the mast. It was right in front of me but I just did not see it. The mast that I built does not have enough taper from top to bottom. The mast cap is too large. If you look at the photos you can see that the "acorn" is larger and overhangs the top of the mast cap at the stern. When I got to really looking at other pictures you can see that the SO-3 masts have a good amount of taper and the cap at the top is much smaller than what I have on my mast.
When I set up the mast for pictures I realized that the cap was too big. I bet some of you sharp eyed watchers had already noticed the taper was not correct. OK that is water under the bridge. I now need to decide what to do. I can keep it as is which would be the easy thing to do. I can rip it all apart and try and save some of the parts or I can start over from scratch and build it again.
The other option is to put this build aside and start something new. The problem with that is based on my past history I will seldom work on a project again once I start something new.
Sometimes I wonder how I manage to feed myself. It was all there in the pictures if I had only really looked. My problem is that I look but I fail to see.
I am going to think on this awhile.