View Single Post
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
I had been taking a break from this build while I was pursuing a Paypal refund from Jack at edfhobbies.com for all these bunk motors and his bogus balancing services. Despite the fraudulent website marketing and copyright infringements Jack still had won the dispute and will not need to issue me a refund. I suppose he had also inadvertently won the right to sell his knockoff motors as Velocity-RC/Arc manufactured products complete with defective bearings. And Paypal need not protect the buyer from fraud. Where's the accountability?

Rather than dwell on the past... I found that there is no better cure for anger and frustration than some reckless spending on more parts. I decide to take another recommendation from RcGroups and get some new quality motors and esc's. I will order in a pair of Arc 28-58-1 motors with a pair of Hobbywing platinum 100A speed controllers. I will savage a pair of WeMo's from the edfhobbies junk pile and mount and balance them myself.
Hopefully by then I can finally be off to the races!
I agree that the ARC's are great quality motors - I have one in a Wemo and it pulls around 2KW on good packs, also using Hobbywing 100A ESC. My only concern in your case is that you will be adding a fair bit of weight to your model. The ARCs weigh around 60g more (each) than, say, a HET 2W-20. Then there is the Hobbywing 100A ESC's which are fairly heavy in themselves and you will require 10 or 12 AWG wire which will all add significant weight. I honestly don't have any twin 70mm experience, but those that do will tell you that a lighter setup for a model of your size will be more suitable. Twin configuration does bring about some interesting efficiencies over a single and you really don't require 3+KW in a model of this size. 2KW will be more than enough IMO and you could achieve that with a much lighter powerplant.

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff