Thread: New Product ST Models Blaze Hotliner
View Single Post
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
2,053 Posts
Dear John,
You are running into the usual problems with painting foam. The first thing you have to realise is that most of the foamies we purchase still have some sort of release agent still present from the mould process. Although this can be cleaned off some will seep out simply because the outer surface has virtually trapped some within the process. This means that almost all paints are likely to come off. The only question is how soon.

Certainly Multiplex Elapor will accept most paints and I choose to wipe over first with Shellite. Because other EPOs do vary I am not recommending this for all EPO. If you can find a suitable cleaner fine but even warm water with detergent can work.

Surprisingly I find the best (and cheapest) option is artists acrylic. Huge choice of colours and if used with good quality brushes will go on very easily and is water soluble. I don't mask but draw up the markings is soft pencil and then carefully hand paint up to that mark line. With some care straight lines are quite achievable.

Superficially the problem is that the acrylics dry fast but dry matt. For a better and slightly more robust finish artist suppliers also sell tubes or bottles of clear finishing acrylic lacquer. Allow the colours to dry for at least a full day prior to brushing on the clear or some smearing may occur. The useful thing is that the clear can usually be obtained in gloss, semi-gloss or matt which gives a few options.

If you stay with stock colours and a little goes a long way the even any minor damage or wear can be recoated without effort.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson