Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Moonbeam
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,455 Posts
Need a Heli Detective!!

Hey Gang,
A member of my flying club gave me this heli frame. He said it was a Hobby King clone of an Align 500, BUT after looking at ALL the Hobby King 500 series heli frames, this doesn't look like any of them. at best it looks like a combo of some of the GT and CMT, but the skids look nothing like any of the HK 500's and there's a lot that seems "changed". Unless this is an older one?
The main rotor head is almost all plastic, the tail rotor section is all plastic, then main rotor gears are white nylon. The top, sides and bottom of the main frame (as well as the tail boom), are all aluminum as are the tail fins. It's a belt drive tail rotor as opposed to torque tube style. The motor is actually an Align brand. That's all I have. Trying to decide if it's worth building up or not.

I'm new into helis, with experience only in the Blade CX2, Scout and MSR (which is a blast!!). I was hoping to hop up to a Blade 450 3D, although 3D is not my goal. I'm a scale guy who loves to build replicas, and since this 500 "landed in my lap", I'm looking to make either Airwolf or a Hughes 500E. I wanted to do an Apache, but doing the geared 45 degree tail looks like more opportunity for failure.

So, if anyone can help point me in the right direction, or knows what the hell this thing is in my basement shop, I'll send you a Christmas card!!!
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:54 PM.