Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by rlebaron
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2010
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Anything new to report on the build?
I have finally cut out all of the control surfaces, CA hinged on the elevators, rudder and ailerons and put the flap hinges on. The flap hinges were a bit a chore. I placed them where the canoe fairings will cover them. The problem is that since I was using a basic hinge, I would not keep it in line with the longitudinal axis but instead perpendicular to the flap. It was the only way I could make them extend symmetrically. Anyhow I think it will end up fine, most of the flap hinge will be covered over with the canoe.

Brings me to an interesting topic. The flaps were cut vertical without a bevel- I used the hot wire to keep it clean. However, in retrospect I think beveled edges would have looked nicer when deployed. My thought is to round the upper part of the flap and extend the spoilers to overlap slightly. Not going to be quite as scale but aesthetically might look better. It would give both longer and deeper spoilers- not that they will help much at all.

Also, thanks to my good wife, she brought home egg-nog and was very proud of herself. Don't get me wrong I like egg-nog but she was so happy and I couldn't quite figure it out- must have been tired. Turns out the bottle is almost exactly perfect for the nacelles- I had sent her with a printout of one. Time to down some more and kill my diet.
rlebaron is offline Find More Posts by rlebaron