Thread: Discussion Got a call from the FAA
View Single Post
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
3,283 Posts
Eddie, thank you for posting the FAA reply. I did not really realize the connection is the fars and the experimental rules, but that actually kind of makes a wicked sense.

Historical aviation have been governed by a couple of factors.
1. airplane capability
2. airplane complexity
3. pilots rating level. (student, private, commercial, instructor)
oh and 4. if the maker of the plane have certified the plane.
If not it is a non-commercial use experimental aircraft - and it seems that is how FAA think about UAV's...

Because.
Currently our aircrafts is not type approved and covered by the typical red-tape for a aircraft.
The operators are generally not "licensed pilots" as a group.
The FAR's do not permit commercial operation of experimental aircrafts without a waiver.. etc etc. BUT there are some loops for charity if I recall correctly as long as the money do not go to you but to the church etc.?

The FAA is interestingly and maybe appropriately, lumping for the sake a making a point, UAV's into the same pool as all other flying hardware, manned or not. (Im saying appropriately because we are today seeing computer controlled FPV planes flying in manners that definitely is pushing controlled airspace.)

Like everybody else I want the right to fly my multirotor with a broadcast camera and get paid for it. and intend to do so until told otherwise. But I suspect as the capabilities continue to expand, we should expect those in power to think of the devise in terms of what it potentially "can" do in terms of flying, rather than in terms of what we actually do, such as below tree-top flying for a video pull or crane shot.

Chances are the future might hold a "toy rated" UAV.. with limited range / altitude.. tape a camera to it and do under 300 feet all day long outside of build up areas. and a commercially rated UAV which may be flown by a certified operator / pilot over build up areas in the same way as a single engine certified airplane used commercially.

In the long term, I can not image a un-regulated commercial UAV camera or not, capable of entering commercial air-space (regardless of the operators intentions.. except maybe for a certified and therefore regulated operator)

Sooo. guessing FAA is doing due-diligence, whenever they learn of a operator, they make a note and officially inform the operator that this do not comply with their rules.. they have to do that, otherwise they would condone and that would form precedence.. but that they have no regulatory framework for fining you for using the "toy" under the airspace floor.

Sorry for the rant, just thinking out loud.

Bo
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member