Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by lilleyen
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
The new sails look great and and should provide better results than the factory sails. The rigging screws look great too!

You are correct, the fenders are missing - there are a few other things to. I posted a few more pictures that show a few more differences

Would you mind posting some close ups of the new boom vang you made and provide a few measurements and list any parts you used to adapt it to your boat?

Included pictures of two of possible boom vangs I am hoping to adapt to my boat - hoping they are not too long. May have to make one up like yours. Not sure yet.
Thank you
Boomer
I like the look of your vang, if it is the right length, go for it.

I measured the Du-bro "turnbuckle" fitting (#2156), that I used for my vang. It's 66 mm long and a 4-40 thread. I used Du-Bro 4-40 Heavy Duty Ball links #899 on the bottom end and for the main boom fitting.
The other end of the vang is a metal quick link.

The #2156 would have been too short as it was, hence the angled aluminum bracket where it attaches to the bottom of the mast fitting.
The angled bracket also make for a less stressed ball link attachment as it turned out.

I was also considering attaching the vang to the boom at first plastic attachment point on the boom (where the main sheet hooks on for the bowsie), but the plastic was too thick for a good fit with the quick-link and it was too far away.
So I made the new aluminum bracket with my Dremel tool and some needle files and pin vise drill. Worked out OK, I think. Time will tell.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen