Thread: Discussion Got a call from the FAA
View Single Post
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:52 PM
Eddie James is offline
Find More Posts by Eddie James
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Eddie James's Avatar
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
883 Posts
So, just to break it down for you.

1. The FAA regulates all airspace. The air above your house you have no ownership or control over. So if someone says you can film on their property, you are still committing a federal offense if you do it without an exception. You MUST petition for an exception.

2. Now if you are a government agency you can get that exception pretty easily. They will give you a password and you can pretty much take care of it online.

3. A lot of people believe they can fly commercial UAS using the authority of AC 91-57 (modeling). But they are mistaken big time. That only applies to folks not doing it for income.

4. The two exemptions you must try to get are to 14 CFR part 21 and part 91.
And you can do that at this URL:

5. Make no bones about it - your chances are slim (see last paragraph above). Also, you will need technical drawings of your aircraft and radio equipment.

To me, this is federal government over reach and it needs to be corrected. It is not serving the people and it is hindering commerce. I believe on purpose - sign of the times.

I hope this has helped you..

Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Reply With Quote