Thread: Build Log Giant scale X-2 project!
View Single Post
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,572 Posts
That's interesting. I made a note on my X-2 plans that I was just reviewing that said "don't use flaperons, significant pitch down when enabled". So inadvertently I had found that flaperons on my X-2 were very pitch sensitive, down flap pitched down quite a bit....so I think you are on to something.

I've been trying to figure out a way to do a snark but the lack of a horizontal tail and the wings being so far forward always worried me that pitch control would be marginal, however maybe with the sweepback they aren't that far forward....

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by X30PILOT View Post
Yes, I have been experimenting with using the ailerons to assist in both glide trim and pitch control. Anytime you push the speed limits of a flight control system you’re flirting with flutter. One way to reduce this risk is to minimize the size of the surface. This works well but it can lead to insufficient control at low speed.
The tail of the X-2 is small and thin; I want to be able to off load some of the force to the larger and thicker wing. Right now the plan is to use the ailerons for glide trim and reserve the elevator for pitch changes. By doing this the setup is 0-0 on boost and the reflex in the ailerons for glide will also help reduce tip stall during landing.

X30
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj