Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Grejen
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Jul 2002
4,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
A high wing airplane with no dihedral is normally quite stable because of the so called pendulum effect. Look what happened to Lindburg when he fell asleep while crossing the Atlantic. The plane simply entered a shallow turn and gradually spiralled down towards the ocean. I bet you will be very pleased with how this airplane will fly.

Larry
My Guillows 'conversion' flies very nice in calm air and even handles wind quite well due to a relatively high loading. Turbulence is no fun at all The wing not only has zero dihedral but also zero washout, and no taper, sweep, nor thinning either. The plane is neutrally stable in roll. My +50% ailerons enable good control but it does require full attention when flying it, and either rudder experience or ail>rud mix is a must.

I'm not sure how much 'pendulum' effect is helping. My GWS DC3 was more stable than my NYP. I built a smaller low wing sport plane with a 'Hershey bar' wing like the NYP. Though way more responsive it seems about the same in roll stability.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen