Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Reegor
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Servos = buy from a reputable store

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfer View Post
Great idea, I spent hours on HK's website trying to get a package together to go with my b2 kit.

Still not entirely sure i've got the right stuff! Servos really confused me, ended up going for 6 of these: TGY-50090M Metal Gear 9g Analog Servo

Hope they are up the job, will have apm2.5 and fpv on board!

/ns
You are willing to take more risk than I am. Once the electronics on an AC goes above $300, I go for brand name servos, purchased from a US store (not on eBay). For example HeadsupRC (good prices). Servocity has a great assortment but I've not purchased much from them. Tom's RC.

I just found the one I wanted: http://shop.tomsrc.com has excellent prices on electronics. I don't know how they do it, actually.
Here is my reasoning: 1) The "no-name" servos, including every HobbyKing brand, have a poor record of reliability. 2) Buying a good brand, like Hitec, from an anonymous source on eBay is an invitation to get a counterfeit.
So if I wanted to save $, I would get brand X servo but from a reputable US store. Even if they source the servo from China, which they will, their own reputation is on the line and their supplier will know it could lose business by sending them junk.
Brand name servos: above discussion of Hitec servos was good. HS-55 ~$9 is the low end. Fine for any small foamy. HS-65 which is almost the same physical size has twice the power. $20 for the karbonite gear, or $29 for the HS-65MG metal gear (if you shop around). Several dollar's cheaper on Tom's RC, who I have purchased from a bunch.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor