Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Bo,

Thanks for the good suggestion.

Other than the required venting, do you know if the dam to route air down and out is that important?

What kind of wood is being used in the Miss Wind for the dam? Can we get away with 3/32" balsa or does it need 1/8" lite ply?

David
Hi,

Tried to translate "dam" but could not find what it mean but I suppose it is the plate that direct the cooling air out of the air exit holes You mean.
Yes, it is important since without it the air would get trapped in the fuselage more or less, one want the air to flow in the direction and speed that is suitable for proper and efficient cooling (new fresh air enter the inlet and then move over motor-ESC-battery and then finally exit at suitable point). The general rule is that air exit hole(s) should be about 3 times bigger then air inlet hole(s).

In my Sebart Wind S 50E the material for the "dam" is a frame of 2 millimeter plywood (probably lite ply, hard to see) and it is covered with white Oracover (=Ultracote in US). That is a strong and light solution and at the same time act as a fuselage former.

The rear top deck is made of white foam covered with 1,5 (or possibly 2) millimeter light/soft balsa with a total thickness of 8 milllimeter (foam including the balsa sheeting). That is light and strong.

I took some photos that maybe will help You get some good idea for the Chipmunk electric.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Dec 01, 2012 at 05:46 AM.