View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by flyboycpa
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
flyboycpa, how will you paint the canopy? I thought about changing the covering too, but not sure how to go about it.
I talked directly to MaxfordUSA (very nice to deal with, BTW) and he contacted the factory in China to find out that the canopy is made of PET (supposedly like Lexan). I wanted to verify so that I got proper paint that would stick.

Today I started sanding the black paint off and it's a bear to sand (unlike the cowl). I'm half-tempted to just prime over what's left of the black (it's all scuffed, at least) and shoot my color over the primer. What little black is left will add negligible weight, in my opinion. Also, I simply pulled the red/white tape off the canopy. I am masking mine to replicate my sliding canopy.

FWIW, the fiberglass cowling sanded very easily down to a nice, white gel-coat. Ready for primer & paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
flyboy, I'd like to sheet mine as well but concerned about the weight....would you use 1/32 balsa?
I'm REALLY tempted to try a bit of 1/32" over the fuse to make it look a little better, but I am concerned about [what little] weight would all be aft of CG. I do have three fuselages, though.

Sam
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa