View Single Post
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,300 Posts
My Trusty Sony Bloggie

Gents,

With all due respect to those of you who have been doing RC models for much longer than I have, and who have probably shot more stills and vid from aloft than I have, I humbly submit that what I've seen on this thread does not impress me. For purposes of shooting stills or video, you are trying to re-invent the wheel.

I pondered doing a scratch-build for an aerial camera plane, but decided it was much easier to modify a humble GWS Slow Stick. And cheap, too. You can guess what I used for power and radio.

For the camera I chose a Sony Bloggie I got several years ago. It has a swivel lens head. Using Velcro and straps under the Slow Stick boom, I can mount it to point forward, backward, or to either side (no gimbal and servo arrangement).

I shoot 720p at 60 FPS. The aerial shot is a frame extracted from the last vid of the season. It ain't shabby, unlike the murky stuff shot with the keychain cams. I've had two, and both tapped out before I could even mount them on an airplane.

Not being a good pilot, most of my landings are more like sudden arrivals. In grass, fortunately. The Bloggie survives, and I await spring time for another shooting session.

BTW, my house is the one in the center of the pic, with the tan roof.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero