Thread: Discussion Whole house standby generators
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
292 Posts
Damn! You get LP cheap out there. Our price is over $3.65 a gallon for a BBQ tank & I am sure if it was delivered it would be around $5.00 a gallon.

The unit I was looking at uses 2.92 gallons at 50% load so at $5.00 per gallon it would cost me almost $ 15.00 per hour to run.

If I lived where you are, I would go for the LP, I am trying to go for the most convenient plus the best price for the BTU's needed in my area.

Thanks for the input, your LP pricing is excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
LP boils at -42 F. Not much concern about "head" pressure. I live in Iowa so we get on occasion some -20/-25 weather and I've never had any concern with low pressure. I may be wrong so don't quote me on this but I think each gallon of LP will make about 160 "gallons" of vapor. 2500 BTU per cubic Ft of LP.

There are 125 gallon tanks available also. You can lease the tank from the LP company, but you are usually tied to that company to fill the tank. As much as the genset runs, you won't burn much LP. I live in the country so I contract my LP usage each year. This year it is $1.32 per gallon.

IMO LP is a very viable fuel for a gen set.

Ken
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis