Thread: Discussion THERMALS: what do you know?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by ozmo01
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,583 Posts
Sink will occur at the top area of a thermal as it pushes through the cooler surounding air.
Maybe not so pronounced along the shaft of a tall column. Lots of variablity.
Most recently I was able to enter a thermal while a hawk was circling in it. It was above me by twice my altitude. As he meandered quite abit, I stayed under him as best I could, this indicated to me the wandering nature of thermals that day. Several other planes joined in the fun but my efforts to follow the thermal by following the hawk got me far above all the others.
The only way I know of to do this without the benifit of a hawk or vulture is to watch for the higher quarter of your circle and drift that way. A skill I am still working on.
Although I live in the midwest we do have seagulls from time to time. During a precontest practice session with the guys I launched at the time a flock was passing by. I told one ot the guys I was gonna join 'em in their thermal. He said, "Gulls aren't soaring birds". I ignored him and got a great flight. I didn't say much to him but the gulls were not flapping their wings SOOOO :-)
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01