View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
657 Posts
Is there a particular reason why you want to mess with differential thrust? I played with it for about 10 minutes on my radio just for fun, but Y-ed the motors together for the final build. You almost certainly won't get the motors to run in sync if they're not Y-ed, which affects the cool factor. Further, it's another thing to go wrong. If your motors are on the same channel and there's a weird glitch, at least they behave together. If they're on separate ones, there's a chance they could act differently. Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's a chance I wouldn't take.

As a side note to everyone, don't believe you can fly this plane on one motor. I had mine set up with counter-rotating props to minimize p-factor. I lost one ESC (Thunderbird) at full throttle. The asymmetric thrust from the good motor threw me into a spin that ended in a parking lot. Perhaps it would have been possible to save if I had cut power, recovered, and gently applied the throttle. In the moment, though, the chance of everything happening just right to let you save it is pretty slim.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Last edited by TexasAggie; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM.