Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
Just note that thinning epoxy with alcohol greatly reduces its strength, and extends the cure time, often requiring heat to reach full cure (if it ever does). Just FYI.

http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glu.../Thinning.html - might be worth reading.

I would suggest instead picking up a small quantity of West Systems 105 epoxy and their 205 fast hardener. Used in relatively small quantities and spread out thin so it doesn't cook itself off, it isn't fast. It is good for things like the center glass joining strip, or general delamination repair. It is thin enough to do the job, and slow enough to give plenty of working time. It is not really thin enough for aircraft laminating work except in despiration, but it is very thin compared to 30 minute epoxy! With additives, I use it as a glue. Additives being stuff like fumed silica, cotton flox, milled fiberglass, microballoons, various chopped fibers, that sort of thing. I even used dirt once for a field repair. West 410 lightweight filler is a good one to have. I prefer it to the hobby shop microballoons.

Gerald
I like to use the slow hardener from West Systems, seems to make the resin less yellow (or is my fast hardener to old) and still full cures in 24 hours in warm temps.
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot