View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by Gohmer
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
1. I do not use the supplied control horns and in any case do not think glue is strong enough to hold them. I use some more substantial ones from Dubro (#107) and attach them with screws that go through 1/16' plywood doublers that are glued to both sides of the control surface.

2. Elevator is ok as is.

3. I mount the rudder on the center-line of the boom with 2/4" plywood or basswood spacer strips on each side to make it the same width as the boom. I then use plywood plates on each side of the boom to support it. The rudder ends up sandwiched between the plates, which are attached with small (2-56 or 4-40) bolts.

4. I cover the gap with fiberglass tape or cloth bedded in finishing resin.

5. I use fiberglass tape and finishing resin on the top, and apply an extra layer of glass cloth / Minwax on the bottom.
What do you do with this thing, combat? Supplied horns are fine and without any glue. Supplied double sided tape is fine for rudder mounting. In fact the SlowStick flies great strictly stock if the CG is right. Beginners are better off flying a stock one.

Mods and reinforcements usually add weight and cause more damage if you crash. I mod and torture mine to the extreme but it's not necessary.

This is the beginner forum. Let's not give the idea that a lot of mods are needed.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer