View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by SOOFLY
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
1. I do not use the supplied control horns and in any case do not think glue is strong enough to hold them. I use some more substantial ones from Dubro (#107) and attach them with screws that go through 1/16' plywood doublers that are glued to both sides of the control surface.

2. Elevator is ok as is.

3. I mount the rudder on the center-line of the boom with 2/4" plywood or basswood spacer strips on each side to make it the same width as the boom. I then use plywood plates on each side of the boom to support it. The rudder ends up sandwiched between the plates, which are attached with small (2-56 or 4-40) bolts.

4. I cover the gap with fiberglass tape or cloth bedded in finishing resin.

5. I use fiberglass tape and finishing resin on the top, and apply an extra layer of glass cloth / Minwax on the bottom.
Thank you for your suggestions! On #3 concerning mounting the rudder mount I really like that idea. I'm not sure I have it completely understood though. I'm visualizing taking plywood and epoxying it together in the shape of a U running the link of the rudder. Mounting this U shaped plywood on top of the elevator using the existing elevator bolts with the open side of the plywood U facing up. Build the U shape plywood opening the exact width of the rudder and insert the rudder into the plywood and secure with bolts running horizontally in relation to the elevator bolts.

Should I revise that in anyway?
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY