Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,414 Posts
I'll add this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
John is spot on with what he is saying JB.
Thankfully we don't have to worry about punctures like the enduro boys who run the moose tubes Dave was talking about.
This is my two cents about tyres and inserts.
In the real world there is all sorts of tyre tread options for different types of terrain. You also adjust your tyre pressures according to the differing types of terrain. For example speedway or trails tyres have a lot of contact area on the track and also to increase that run a lower pressure in the tyre. Typical tracks that speedway run on are slick and smooth. Trails are all types of terrain but they are searching for grip not stability at the speeds they go. As grip levels increase as such like on MX tracks, again depending on the surface a different tyre tread is used as well as different pressure in the tyre. Looser type tracks you use a more open pattern tyre and slightly higher pressure and hard packed you try to get more contact and more flex with a tyre that has lower profile knobs and more of them and using less pressure. We have to deal with all surfaces using the one tyre tread. How do you make that tyre grip better on slick surfaces? By making it conform and squirm more increasing the contact patch. Sure this is exactly the opposite to what you want on a grippy surface where the movement in the tyre only hinders the bikes stability. I think Chris had the right idea with the design of the rear wheel, tyre and insert. Maybe just the materials need upgrading. Hopefully like Dave says in time we may have more choices. Don't get me wrong, the std insert is great for general bashing. It's when it's pushed hard on a track that issues start to surface. The std tyre also works really well on a variety of surfaces. Basically if you have enough mechanical traction with the track you don't want the tyre to move around. However if you find you need more traction you can get the tyre to have more contact by softening it. Either rubber compound or insert or both. I've played around with foams but not the new style inserts yet. Hope that gives you some ideas JB. Will report on what I like best for my conditions. Haven't had a chance to test the new style inserts.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury