View Single Post
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Dan_D
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Another fun RC activity is FPV ( first person view ) , where there's a small camera on the plane that transmits the image to video goggles that you're wearing , so you're flying the plane as if you are in the cockpit . You can even get head tracking - if you move your head to the left or right , up or down , the camera on the plane moves accordingly.
Thats actually one of my goals, although I have been thinking about this with a quad copter. There is a reason.

I am assistant chief of a rural volunteer fire department. We get a lot of field, brush, and forest fires during the late fall when the grasses are dry, the leaves are down, etc. Field and brush fires can be dangerous because I might have 5 crews spread over many acres without good visual contact with all of them. The nightmare scenario is having a crew on the wrong side of a hill and have a fire encircle them.

I have thought that a quad copter with simplified flying controls (basically UP, DOWN, FORWARD, BACK, and TURN) with FPV would be very useful. This wouldn't be for "fun flying", so I wouldn't mind handing off most of the flying to an onboard computer/gyro/accelerometer/gps system... I want to be able to hop up 200 feet and look around and see where my guys are, where the fire edges are, and which way the fire is running.

Of course, this sort of thing could also be handy for first-in exploration of a haz-mat situation. We had a report once of a burning tractor-trailer loaded with 14 tons of dynamite. We went in and discovered that the fire had not spread beyond the breaks and tire yet... but I sure would have loved to have been able to send in a remote eye first...
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D