Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by indoorheli
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I don't own a Nano (yet?), and probably shouldn't have given Tail Boom mod advice in this thread, especially since I don't even know what shaped mounting holes it has.

After giving the subject more thought, I'm now vaguely remembering that the Nano may have a hollow round Tail Boom with both ends "keyed" for proper alignment (like the mSR Tail Boom). If so, staying round is probably the best choice, and solid would definitely be stronger than hollow. The thought of me trying to DIY the "keying" at both ends at the same angle, makes me feel apprehensive. I'm starting to think a weaker more difficult to DIY Tail Boom may be a "popular" sales item; however, I'm still wondering why it is only offered with an expensive Tail Motor? Let me guess, it might have something to do with sales again? Why sell the customer a weak $1 part, when there's an opportunity to sell the same weak part for $10? (I don't own a Nano, so I'm LOL as I type )

My earlier Tail Boom re-posts were originally intended for the Walkera Mini which comes from the factory with a hollow square Tail Boom and mounting holes, which is super easy to inexpensively DIY, as well as can be replaced and properly aligned in less than 1 min.

From a new design point of view, in my mind it's a no-brainer, a hollow square Tail Boom is the best choice because: 1) it results with the greatest strength for a given amount/weight and length of material, 2) facilitates component alignment at both ends.
Yes the nano like the mcpx has a keyed boom. But it is a simple flat on both ends on the same side/angle. What i do is cut the area with an x-acto knife it is fast and easy.

I was not trying to discount what you said at all and I do think what you wrote to be quite logical advise As you said it is also a no-brainer when it comes to alignment of a square over round boom.

What I forgot to write in my previous post was all was true for 100 size or smaller yet not the same for larger helis. Also I am more speaking of overall durability or solid round versus round or square tube.

While I do think square tube can be stronger/more durable I think it is situation/application dependent and it has to have a few things going for it.
Such as:
1) be on a larger heli where tail flex in a crash won’t help the lifespan of the boom (sub 100 I think some flexing during crash is helpful)
2) be better made carbon such as the spiral or weave type

As I am sure you know i have had a few of the mini cp's along with the genius heli's. There too i preferred round solid and found once i changed to solid i did not need to replace my tail boom often or if at all.

Again I crash alot.... probably more than 10 of you guys flying helis combined So i really have tested boom life on these small heli's

This is the type of area i fly in a lot and some of the silly stuff i do with these helis and why I like my solid booms on these little helis
MiniCP Floor Sweep (2 min 17 sec)
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
Last edited by indoorheli; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM.