View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,633 Posts
PyroMan,

I just looked at your restoration-your motor looks beautiful!

If it helps any, I have been flying Wen Mac and Testors engines again for the last few months.

I just went through (last Saturday) three Testors and Three Wen Mac motors (in most cases, the Rotomatic clutch was glued together from castor oil for the last 30 to 50 years (the engines are of varying age).

Once freed up, the engines all ran well.

I have been using Glo Plug Boy fuel. Initially, the Testors and Wen Mac engines did not start well on this, and the needle setting was interesting (finicky and would not hold well). Cox .049's ran fine on it.

I remember, a very long time ago (when these things were relatively new), I had no trouble starting them, while some of my friends did. They were using Cox fuel, while I was using Testors fuel.

Some years later, I ran a Wen Mac engine and a friend who was an old school control line person, made a comment about the smell of the fuel. He said that it smelled like there was ether in it, and that was why the engines would start easily and run better on it.

You cannot buy ether, because it is used to make drugs. A fuel manufacturer directed me towards engine starting fluid (for carborrated automobiles and tractors). I found some that was 50% either.

I just sprayed a bit into the Glo Plug boy fuel and now the Wen Mac and Testors motors start like they used to-very easily. Two of them started on the second flip.

Not scientific, but the engines run very well.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Last edited by Ah Clem; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM.