Thread: Discussion New Electrifly G-44 Widgeon
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by menksters
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,424 Posts
Disappointment To Glee

Being one of the first to buy and fly this model when I outfitted it with the reccomended rim-fire motors it was a disaster. Second flight broke wing in half and tore floats off , plus nacelle damage and minor fuse cracks. Put her aside for a while and thought about the burn pile or modify it. Modify won out so I made new motor mounts and installed E-ftite 480's in it. Reworked the nacelles, and rebuilt the wing. So now the set up is the 480's, castle 30amp esc's, Counter rotating MAS 9/7 3 blade props. Also added a heli heading hold gyro I had in inventory. Used thin CA dribbled in from the inside to seal the minor stress cracks in the fuse. When I recovered the wing center section I used Ultracote vs. Monocote as I find it easier to work with at lower temps.. RTF weight is 4.25 Flew the revamped version this morning and really now enjoyed it. She flies heavy as a lot of my warbirds do but that is fine with me. Great speed range now with these motors. Stalls straight but violent breakaway as this model is no floater.Tracks straight as an arrow with the little gyro in her. So now I find it to be a fun little stand-off scale model. Flies quite a bit heavier then my G.P. PBY. Sorry no photos as I don't know how to post them. Enjoy, donnie
menksters is online now Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM.